Aug 27

Getting Started: Tips & Reminders for Seniors

College Applications.. Sending Test Scores.. Transcripts & More.. 
How to get Started on all your Senior Year To-Do’s


-Most college applications are online applications. Many colleges and universities use online application portals for your convenience.

-You can find an application to all North Carolina Colleges and Universities through CFNC.org, here you can apply to schools and send your official transcripts to all NC Colleges/Universities (see Transcripts below for more information).

-Other application portals are CommonApp and SendEDU. These application portals and many of your applications will ask for your counselor’s information. Please use the following information for your applications:

Last Names A-K   Kaye Anderson   kanderson@jcpsmail.org   (828)586-2177 ext. 2505

Last Names L-Z      Paige Brooks      pbrooks@jcpsmail.org      (828)586-2177 ext. 2504

-If you would like help with applications, or to review the information regarding college that you received during your individual registration feel free to set up an appointment with your School Counselor.

-If you plan on taking the ACT or SAT again, you can note that on your application and should register as soon as possible on ACT.org or CollegeBoard.org


Early Decision v. Early Action:

Early decision plans are binding — a student who is accepted as an ED applicant must attend the college.

Early action plans are nonbinding — students receive an early response to their application but do not have to commit to the college until the normal reply date.



-If your application is through CommonApp or SendEDU and you input your counselor’s name an email request for your transcript is automatically sent to your counselor, which they can submit electronically.

-If you are applying to a college in North Carolina you are required to send your transcript through CFNC.org  
Once you are logged into your CFNC account go to Apply–> to College –> Application Hub, here you can apply to colleges and universities in North Carolina and submit your transcript. You must have completed the about me section of your CFNC profile including your student number for your transcript to send successfully.

-If you need paper copies of your transcript to mail to colleges you must use this website to request those transcripts: https://jcpsnc.scriborder.com/ (There is no charge for current students)

-If you need an electronic (pdf) of your transcript for College or Scholarship applications send an email to your school counselor requesting an electronic copy of your transcript


Sending Test Scores:

-Students are required to send official test scores to their colleges/universities. If you selected a college to receive your scores on your test day, that college should automatically receive the results of your test. If you have additional schools you would like to receive your test scores you must utilize that testing website to send your official score report.

ACT  Official ACT Score Reports cost $13.00 per test date per score report and can be requested online or by phone. How to send your scores: http://www.act.org/content/act/en/products-and-services/the-act/scores/sending-your-scores.html  
Students need to log into their ACT account and will click on the “Send Your Scores” link on their account homepage. Keep in mind that each test date requires a separate score report.
-Students that have only taken the ACT once during their junior year here at SMHS must register for an account and will then be able to link that test in order to send score reports. Students must know their original ACT ID number and test date. If students need their ACT ID number and test date information they can get it in the Student Support Center.

SAT Official SAT Score Reports cost $11.25 per test date per score report and can be requested online. How to send your scores: https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/sat/scores/sending-scores/how-to-send 
Students need to log into their College Board account and click the “view details” button on their dashboard, they will then select the “Score Sends” tab to send additional score reports.


Financial Aid:

–ALL students should complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). This application opens on October 1st and should be completed as soon as possible after October 1st. Smoky Mountain High School Hosts many Financial Aid Workshops that break down the process of applying, for information about these workshops view the below flyer.

-The first step in completing FAFSA is acquiring a Federal Student Aid ID for both the student and parent. You can obtain your FSA ID here: https://fsaid.ed.gov/npas/index.htm

-After student and parent have a FSA ID you can begin the process of completing your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) here: https://fafsa.ed.gov/index.htm

-It is recommended to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool in order to pull all tax information into your application. Use this link for more information about how to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool:https://www.southwesterncc.edu/financial-aid/fafsa-irs-data-retrieval-tool



-Students are reminded to bookmark http://smh.jcpsnc.org/ssc/ to get scholarship information. Monthly scholarship flyers are uploaded from October to May. Other scholarship information is available there as well.

-For tips about scholarships visit: http://smh.jcpsnc.org/ssc/seniors/scholarships/



-Be sure to give your teachers and counselors adequate time to write recommendations for you. Two weeks is a good rule of thumb.

-Provide your recommenders with a list of activities and awards that are noteworthy in the recommendation- (use a copy of your resume or we have a recommendation request form that can be used to organize this information). When given sufficient time, teachers can write a meaningful letter that truly reflects each student’s unique qualities.