Classes in the Health Science Program area at SMHS:
- Biomedical Technology I
- Health Team Relations
- Health Science I
- Health Science II
- Nursing Fundamentals
- Pharmacy Technician
The comprehensive Health Science Education program seeks to meet present and predicted needs for health care workers within a health care delivery system that is characterized by diversity and changing technologies. It is a program that recruits qualified and motivated students and prepares them for pursuit of appropriate health careers.
The Health Science Education curriculum is designed to enable students to:
- Select health career majors suited to their individual needs, aptitudes, abilities, and career development plan.
- Develop sound fundamentals based on National Health Care Skill Standards.
- Successfully pursue advanced education and/or entry-level employment in a health career cluster.
- Develop basic workplace skills and function as ethical and moral health team members.
- Acquire and use information relevant to remaining technologically abreast of their chosen health career majors.
- Develop a professional philosophy as evidenced in personal qualities and practices that improve the delivery of quality health care and health maintenance to consumers.
- Become knowledgeable consumers of health care in a consistently changing technological environment.
For more information about the Health Sciences Education program area, please visit the NC DPI website here.